Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011/08/01

Cravings

Hi CS,

I read the following in a H24 article, is it true?

If you feel depressed in winter your body reacts by producing more serotonin, the " happy hormone" . One of the ways in which the body tries to boost serotonin production is to increase your craving for carbohydrates. Unfortunately many carbohydrate foods such as chips, cakes, pies, pastries and chocolate also have a high fat content. If you eat a lot of these foods because you feel the urge to stock up on carbohydrates you’ ll most probably gain weight.

Well, I'd expect H24 articles to be "true" ; but with all new comments, the issue is getting them into perspective. I haven't read the piece you're quoting, but this sounds like the sort of THEORY some researchers announce, especially when they are seeking fresh funding for their work.
If strictly true, presumably if one snacked on pure carbs without fat, one would gain less weight and still feel happy ?

2

Yes, you will get fat if you eat chips cakes, pies, pastries and chocolate. Not most probably, definitely.