Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010/09/13

Cravings

Is it true that eating salty food (chips etc.) generates a craving to eat something sweet, and vice versa?

Dear Maria
I have not heard that cravings for salty foods also encourage cravings for sweet foods. In general cravings for sweet foods are either learned habits, or a reaction to a psychological need if food is a 'reward' or an attempt to increase low serotonin levels in the brain. The latter can occur if you eat a diet that is low in carbohydrates. Cravings for salty foods are generally a learned response.

1

Dear Maria