Question
Posted by: Scarlet | 2010/04/13

Cravings

Hi. I seem to have overpowering cravings for salty foods during the day and evening. I sometimes feel like even just eating raw salt as is. I do not have high blood pressure (the last time I had the tests done) in fact it was a little bit low. What could cause this salt craving and is it really unhealthy to eat salty foods and put raw salt on your food if you have low blood pressure?

Dear Scarlet
If you suffer from low blood pressure then you can increase your salt intake slightly, but not by eating raw salt as an excessive intake is not good for the kidneys. In some cases underlying physical problems like malfunction of the kidneys, etc, may cause excessive salt excretion, so consider having a checkup and discussing these salt cravings with your dr just to be sure. In other cases the cravings are a learned response and it should be possible to wean yourself gradually to eat less salt.

1

Dear Scarlet