Question
Posted by: Lebo | 2009/11/13

Cravings

Hi Doc,
I find myself craving salty and meaty food most of the time. Do I lack some mineral? Most peple crave for sweets but I crave for something meaty like russians or something salty like Simba... What can I do to prevent this?

Dear Lebo
Food cravings, esp for salty, fatty foods are usually not a sign of a deficiency, but can be caused by hormonal imbalances (female hormones of this should apply or adrenal hormones) or learned habits. If these cravings have occurred suddenly and are very pronounced, it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to determine if you suffer from an underlying physiological cause of sodium imbalance. Discuss this with the dr. If however, you have developed these cravings over a long period, then they are probably a learned behaviour. Because eating too much fatty and salty food had negative health effects (the fat causes weight gain and the salt can increase your blood pressure), you will need to make a conscious effort to cut down on these foods. Gradually reduce how much fatty and salty food you eat until you have eliminated them from your diet.

1

Dear Lebo