Question
Posted by: POKKIE | 2008/07/29

CRAVINGS

HI DOC, I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF A DISEASE OR DISORDER I HAVE, I DONT LIKE EATING REAL FOOD OR CRAVE THEM(OILY FOOD),WHENEVER I SMELL SOMETHING LIKE MUFFINS OR BREAD I BUY, I KEEP MY COKIES IN A TIN NEXT TO MY BED INCASE I WAKE UP AT NITE. I ALWAYS CRAVE COOKIES, DUMPLINGS, VEGETABLE ROLLS, ANYTHING WITH FLOUR . I GET A LOT OF THRUSH SOME1 TOLD ME THAT ITS BECAUSE I EAT A LOT OF WHITE FLOUR. IS THIS TRUE. I AM A SIZE 30 ,MY WAISTLINE IS 67 HIP 95 BUST 85CM. I DONT GAIN WEIGHT EXEPT ON MY BELLY. DO I HAVE SOME KIND OF A DISEASE IM NOT AWARE OF.

Dear Pokkie
It is difficult to judge if you are suffering from an underlying disease or if your desire to eat only starches is due to learned habits. If possible to have a medical checkup to determine if you suffer from an insulin problem, such as insulin resistance. If this should be the case then you will need medical treatment and/or a diet with a low glycaemic index (GI). It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).