Question
Posted by: MISTY | 2009-12-02

CRAVE SWEET THINGS

I dont eat junk food at all, the only " junk food "  I eat will be pizza and that about once a year. I eat rather healthy most of the time, I dont drink alcohol, I love coffee( I have about 4 cups a day) and about 4 mugs of rooibos,and 1 cuppucino per day. breadkfast is papino and banana with yoghurt, snack at 11 is 3 provitas or 2 ricecakes plain, lunch - sometimes brown rice with peppedews and peas, or a piece of chicken with salad.3pm fruit and yoghurt and dinner is stew with veg or roast chicken and veg.Why do I crave sweet things all day long, I have to keep myself in not to go to the kitchen and bake cookies or cake or scones, sometimes I cant help myself then I devour a slab of chocolate or I make myself chocolate mousse and finish it all by myself, I need to loose about 5kg, but that 5 kg sits all around my tummy, from under my breasts to my waist, it actually looks quite funny.What foods can I eat to stop me craving the sweet things.

Dear Misty
There are a number of possible causes for craving sweet foods, namely: 1)Problems with your insulin metabolism such as hypoglycaemia or insulin resistance. 2) Not eating sufficient food to satisfy your hunger because of trying to lose weight, 3) Serotonin imbalances. Serotonin is a chemical produced by the brain. If the serotonin levels in the brain are too low, you tend to develop cravings for carbohydrates, esp sweets and chocolate because eating carbs increases the serotonin levels in the brain. It may be a good idea to start eating a low glycaemic index (GI) diet as this would help to keep you satisfied for longer. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. If you have difficulties with applying a low-fat, low-GI diet please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you with an individual diet prescription. You can also visit the Website of the Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to learn more about this type of diet. Combine the diet with daily aerobic exercise like brisk walking because the exercise also helps to improve your blood insulin and sugar levels. Make sure that you eat a low-GI carbohydrate at each meal.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-03

Dear Misty