Question
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2010/10/05

Crash

Hi CS, long time.
Bipolar Kay from Gtown here. Hope you and kitty are well?
I have been reasonably stable with only a depression and a mixed this year, both of which were fortunately only about two months long. But I am frightened now as I think I''m crashing again.

I had an exhibition of my artwork this past weekend. It was a very long-held dream come to fruition. The stress was hectic, the last few weeks I have been living on my nerves with all the arrangements. But it all went well.

Now the aftermath. I knew the exhibition might cost me a mood episode. (But I couldn''t let that put me off, I have to live my life, surely?) The very next day (yesterday) my mood crashed. It''s only been two days, too early to phone my shrink, but I feel dreadful.

I don''t even have a question for you, sorry. I''ve just come hobbling back in for a bit of comfort, maybe. I am hoping desperately it isn''t a depressive episode coming. I don''t know how long to wait before I phone my shrink, how long does it have to go on for? I feel helpless to stop it, it is as if a dark cloud moved in right after it ended and I fell fast, been crying and feeling hopeless.

I guess I am asking for some words from you ...

Kay

HI ! Good to hear from you again ! Cat sends her warmest regards ( with the temperatures round here suddenly up to 35,she DOES mean "warmest" regards ).
Congratulations too on your exhibition, and on your relative stability through the rest of the year. Sometimes after a period of major stress ( and we often forget that GOOD major things are also stressful, too )we may all feel rather wobbly for a time, without necessarily sliding back into a major bipolar episode. I hope this is so in your current situation.
As for the later question, how long is a piece of string ? Maybe its something worth discussing with your shrink, as to how long a significant mood aberrance should last before you should call him.
Do, please, remember that your whole history is living proof that you should never allow yourself to feel hopeless. Sometimes it may be hard to feel hopefull, but fortunately in moods as in balloons, what goes down must come up.

2
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2010/10/05

Thank you so much CS. Am I just over-reacting, assuming it''s a bipolar thing? Is it normal to feel so lost and down after such an event? If anything, I''d have expected a mania (or at least a bit of euphoria) from all the compliments I got and how well it went, so why this reaction? Why do I feel so lost and empty when I should feel so good?

Reply to Kay in Gtown