Posted by: lulu | 2008-12-18

cramps/spasms and pregnant

Hi, I am 6 weeks pregnant and for the last couple of hours I have experience some cramps/spasm in my tummy but on the upper tummy and not the abdomen, I am not sure what it is, I drank Citro soda which my gynae gave me and I feel better now and havent heard any cramps since lunch time. what could be the problem, I was very hungry when I first felt them this was before 12h00 today, could it be that I was too hungry. please advise

Perhaps hunger pains. If they don't recur, it shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by: Ruby | 2008-12-18

Hello Lulu,
Im not a doctor, but my experience is that if it is upper tummy its normally acid reflux. Since the citro soda worked, it sounds like it is. Things that trigger reflux is: pregnancy (especially later on), eating spicy things, eating acid things (tomatoes, onions, orange juice etc), coffee and yes, an empty tummy can trigger it. See if it helps if you eat more often and to avoid acid foods. Congrats on your pregnancy. Dont think you have anything to worry about, since you dont have cramps in lower abdomen. :-) All the best R

Reply to Ruby