Question
Posted by: maryann | 2010-08-19

cramps

Hi, i became a diabetic in Nov 2010, at age 43- i am a T1 and am on Humolog x3 per day and a lantus injenction at night.I am getting the worst cramps in my legs, lower under the knee, more to the front and over the front of my foot at night , it wakes me up and i could scream it is so sore, it happens quiet often, at least 2 to 3 times a week, last night i got up and started walking around the house, which seemed to ease the pain. I am overweight and unfit, i have had these type of cramps over the years, but usually in my calves, this is always down my shins and takes an age to subside, i take no other meds or vitamins and do not have any other conditions, heart blood pressure all working well at moment. My legs are killing me, today i am hobbling around because of the cramps last night.

Hallo Maryann
This could be due to nerve damage caused by diabetes, or it may be due to low calcium or magnesium levels. Nerve pain is usually burning, needles and pins, or sharp electric shock pains. Muscle pains are usually due to muscle contraction and will pull the foot up. If you are sure that it is due to cramps, you can ask your doctor to check your electrolyte levels, calcium and magnesium with a blood test to see if you need supplements. Taking a muscle relaxant like Norflex may also help.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-08-19

Hallo Maryann