Question
Posted by: Thando | 2009-09-01

Cramps

I have just joined the gym and the main problem I am experiencing (besides sore muscles) are cramps and muscle pulls, especially around the calves and stomach. Is this normal?

HI Thando

Are those cramps during training or after? And how long after? Hours or the next day? I think the most likely thing is that you are training a little too hard, working the muscle too much and you've become fatigued. That can cause a pain that feels like strain. So maybe you need to lower the weight you're using, and see if that helps.

The problem is that you may be training too hard and so getting muscle stiffness on top of slight tears in the muscle that cause the pain. The answer is to reduce the training volume, either lower the weight, or train fewer times a week.

1
Posted by: Women runner 42yrs | 2009-09-01

Leg cramps mostly occur in the calf muscles, also develop in the larger thigh muscles and buttocks. Most often caused by dehydration as depleted reserves of potassium, magnesium and calcium may play a role.
Be sure to drink sports drink before and during gym session. Consider supplementing your diet with calcium, magenssium and pottasium. Also, stop and stretch the cramp muscle gently. Walk a bit and start sipping a sports drink.

Sports massage, rehydration and rest will help and perhaps prevent future leg cramp.

Reply to Women runner 42yrs