Posted by: Concerned | 2011-10-15

Cramping stomach, vomiting gall, and blood in stools

Please what can I tell my son to buy for the above symptoms?

He does not have a medical aid and has wasted 2 full days at a state hospital without being helped. He cannot stay away from work any longer.

He takes Calmetts for stress. The skin on his palms is peeling off, apparently he has previously been told this is due to stress. He has for ± 10 years had long, irregular working hours and has recently been promoted to a junior restaurant manager. He smokes a lot. I am aware that he drinks a lot - perhaps too much - alcohol too, although he does not admit this to me. He does not live with me, phoned to ask my advice which I do not have. I would be very grateful if you could give me some advice?

Thanks for your time.

It is possible that he has a gastric ulcer. He can ask his pharmacist for Gaviscon Plus, which should be taken thrice daily before meals. He should also use a product called Omeprazole 20mg, once daily for at least three months. There are generics available and the medication should not be that expensive.

It is however, important that he has a gastroscopy and colonoscopy done, as soon as possible. Blood per rectum has to be investigated. I therefore, suggest that he revisits the state hospital and emphasize his social habits, as well as blood per rectum.

Posted by: worth it | 2011-10-18

hi not an expert by any degree but when last has your son dewormed himself? blood in the stools could be something as simple as that and not so expensive that it will be a waste to try.

Reply to worth it