Question
Posted by: Col | 2010-01-19

Cracks on side of mouth

Hi Dr - I have had a sore red area and ' crack'  on the side of my mouth / where my upper and lower lips join on the outside. I have been treating it with Polysporin about twice or three times per day for the past week or so, however, it doesn' t seem to be healing as quickly as it has when I have had the same problem previously (years ago). Would you please explain why this happens (the crack and redness) as well as whether you think it could possibly be a fungus and I should rather be treating it with an anti-fungal rather than an antibiotic ointment. I live in Durban and went up to the Kruger National Park just over a week ago so think it could possibly have been the dry air as opposed to the humid Durban air. If so, surely it should have healed by now? I am 54 and menopausal - not sure whether that' s relevant but just incase it is! Thank-you.

Hallo Col
It could be due to a bacteria or a fungal infection and often happens if you do not take in enough vit B.
Try vit B co supplements and Nystatin cream.
See http://www.skinsight.com/adult/angularCheilitisPerleche.htm

2
Posted by: Racoon | 2010-01-20

Try Teatree Oil!! Its the only that helps for me. It would also help for both a fungal and bacterial infection.

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-01-19

Hallo Col

Reply to cyberdoc