Posted by: johan | 2009-03-25

Cracking Joints in feet, hands,chest etc

hi Doc,

I' m a 26 year old male, with no history of sickness or any mentionable diseases other than the ordinary chicken pox etc. I' m not sure if what I have is a problem, but I believe in prevention rather than to cure.
When ever I raise myself on my toes, the joints in my feet crack. When I roll my writs, then sometimes the joints in my hands crack.
The same goes for my chest, where my rib cage meets in the center to the right of my heart, that part also sometimes clicks.
I used to do a lot of sport up until about 3 years ago. I would hazard a guess, and say it has something to do with the lubrication between the joints? But as far as I know, the cracking sound is produced from air coming between the joints. Is this something I should be worried about?

thanks for your time.

Dear Johan
No, if your joints are not stiff, red or swollen, you don't have to worry about the noise!