Posted by: Tracy | 2009-04-21

Cracked rib?

Hi doc
I had a bit of an accident on Saturday at my sister-in-laws baby shower while playing a game. we were on chairs u know dressing each other up like babies &  as i jumped off the chair it kinda slipped of the tiles &  i had a bit of a fall on the table, nothing serious. but i have been getting a pain on my right side of the rib cage. I did look at it last night &  was comparing it to the other side &  my right side looks like the 2cnd rib is pushed under the next 1 or broken. It looks like that it could be nothing though. it was very painful over the weekend but is a bit ok now with a slight pain if i press it too hard. Could it be broken or serious? Do i need to go to hospital or is it ok to just leave alone?

Dear Tracy
The ribs at the bottom of the ribcage are mostly made out of cartilage, so would not easily break. A broken rib would be very tender, have a feeling like two rough surfaces moving over each other if you touch it or if you breathe in and out, and breathing is usually very painful. We don't do anything to a broken rib unless it is severely broken and the two ends are not lying end on end, injuring surrounding tissues (like in a motor car accident)
Let your doctor have a look if it is really difficult to breathe.