Posted by: Ronel | 2011-12-05

Cracked Nose

Please advice, my four year old St Bernard’ s nose is cracked and dry, it’ s so bad that her nose have pink spots. She is otherwise very happy and healthy dog. My vet advised me that I must apply “ Mil-cream”  but I am doing it now for more than 6 months and it is still not better, getting worse. Could this be a vitamin shortage, she is on Ultra dog food for Giant dogs and I also give her two spoons of cooked rice and liver on a daily basis.

Hi Ronel

I suspect that your old St Bernard may have a condition called Nasal Hyperkeratosis. This condition may be the result of the following : congenital (developmental), nutritional, metabolic, traumatic, neoplasia, infectious or immune mediated. A diagnosis can be confirmed on history/clinical examination with the addition of nasal biopsy’s and histopathology. The treatment will depend on the clinical findings and biopsy results.

Please discuss this condition further with your local vet and see what he/she suggests.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Angus Campbell