Posted by: caren | 2009-07-23

cracked fingertips

My fingertip corners crack during winter, sometimes during summer as well. I see it happening after I' ve worked a lot with cleaning agents or even doing gardening. They bleed and my mom suffers from the same. Doctors have given me cortisone ointment, fatty ointment but nothing realy helps. No reason is also given why this happens. My mom puts ' Prit sticky stuff'  in it to prevent air from reaching it, that seems to relieve some of the discomfort. What do you make of this. When it happens in summer it happens after gardening and working with ground. It lasts for weeks and sometimes the moment one is healed it cracks open again.

Dear caren
It is a type of eczema caused by a combination of dry skin and irritants. The best way to treat this is to keep the skin away from chemicals/soaps and to use liberal moisturizer. If it cracks, put antiseptic ointment on and keep it closed until the crack heals. Wear plastic gloves when doing dishes or working in the garden.