Posted by: Kim | 2012-10-16

Cracked discoloured nail

My nail on one of my big toes cracks all the time and is severly discoloured. I have tried everything from ClearNail to Fix for Nails and nothing helps. Should I go to a podiatrisy and have it removed?

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your e-mail. It could possibly be that you have damaged the nailbed which could cause thickening of the nail or a crack to appear or could have weakened the nail and made it more prone to a fungal infection. I would suggest that you consult with a podiatrist that could file the nail down, trim the nail that has lifted off the nailbed back and then prescribe a suitable topical nail treatment which could include a nailpaint or laser treatment. In severe cases an oral anti-fungal could be prescribed by your GP. For your nearest podiatrist please contact 0861 100 249 or

Posted by: Keshni govender | 2012-11-13

Good day please forward me more details on my cracked toe nail.

Reply to Keshni govender