Question
Posted by: gill | 2008/08/20

Cracked and bleeding nose

My Rhodesian Ridgeback male has developed what looks like a " crusting"  along the upper edge of his nose and this has cracked into the nose, sometimes bleeding. Scheriproct ointment relieves but does not cure it. Is it food related and if not, please, what can I do to heal this condition?

Dear Gill

Diff to give you advice on this one without looking at lesion. Can be nothing (best case) to an immune mediated condition (worst case) that will require long term treatment.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/20

Listen to what your vet says but do one more thing, if you aren' t already - use a stainless steel feeding bowl, or a ceramic one - something that can be cleaned really well. Plastic sometimes causes nose problems.

Another thing: never be tempted to coat the nose in vaseline - if you absolutely must - and rather talk to your vet first - use a vegetable oil - sweet almond, jojoba, or even sunflower or olive. NOT vaseline!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Michele | 2008/08/20

Our Alsatian suffers from exactly the same condition. We have tried corisone injections and all types of creams and the vet and nothing seems to get rid of it!

Reply to Michele