Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2010/12/01

Crack cocaine

Dear expert,
My brother, 25 is addicted to crack cocaine for over 6 years. We are a very close-nit family. My mom, my sister, my brother and me. Over the years we have tried helping, assisting, rejecting and praying about my brothers addiction. We send him to a 3 month restoration program and he returned about 2 weeks ago. Connecting the dots, we discovered that he hasnt even been back 2 days and was hooked again. He is now in prison. I can bail him out, and he begs me everyday to bail him out, but I just think he is safer in prison than on the streets. I cant see my brother like this anymore and the saddest part is that we cant help him. It has to come from himself, if one day he realizes that he''s playing with fire. I think the saddest part is that he is in denial and doenst want help. He would say that he wil go to rehab or go see a phycologist or go to the AA, but after going, he would just go back to using drugs. He was also diagnosed with bipolar1 disorder. We are helpless and only females in the house, dont know what to do, cause he has also been violent and smacked my sister. I can either bail him out and send him back to the restoration camp, this time for 6 months or I can send him to the mental hospital where he will be under supervision of drug counsilors and guards for 42 days. Please help us, are we on the right track, because we are going crazy and also been talking to people with the same problem. I think what my brother needs is professional help, not prison. But I also think the other way around.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Mandy
Its an unfortunate truth that with addicts one often needs to practice tough love. You have done everything that you can & now it is time to look after yourself. I strongly suggest you attend Nar-Anon for families of addicts or Codependants Anonymous & start healing and focusing on your own recovery and hand the rest over to your Higher Power.
The very kindest regards
Melissa

2
Posted by: Me | 2010/12/07

Mandy, if I were you I would book him into a hospital or rehabilitation centre. He obviously needs help.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Addictions expert forum | 2010/12/02

Dear Mandy
The very kindest regards
Melissa

Reply to Addictions expert forum