Hi I was diagonised with the COXSAKKI VIRUS in February 2009, the doctor said it is the same as YUPPIE FLU it just attacks your muscle' s more. Well I was training and gyming at that stage and had to stop. From there on I gained 8 kg of weight. Is there any kind of excercise to do that does not put that much strain on your heart muscle. This virus takes apparently up to 3 years to go out of your body.

Hi Monica

It's very difficult, you obviously have to treat the virus and manage symptoms as much as possible. But there's no cure, being a virus, only management, which you must maximize. However, in terms of exercise, I'd say that it's not the type, but the intensity of exercise that is most important. You'll feel how you move through phases or stages where you feel fine, then you feel run down. That symptom will guide what you do and how hard, and its not so much the type, but the intensity. You could swim, as an option that is effective because you can do a very comfortable session with good effect. Running can be very hard, even when you take it easy, but it's worth trying. Cycling is another one that you can do easy or hard, and you just have to find the limit and then remain beneath it.

So it's all about management. Given that exercise will be restricted, however, the key is to manage diet. That's more important than ever, and also given the effect of the virus, you need to make 100% sure that you're eating for best effect. So I really would recommend that you see a dietician and look at both the weight loss and the health/energy aspects of your diet in order to get through on that aspect as well.