Posted by: Concerned | 2010-10-26

Coxis and arthritis

My ex-hubby has been complaining about his coxis for about a month now - says that when he sits on a hard surface it''s uncomfortable and actually pains. He has a history of rheu-arthritis (his dad suffers severely) and I''m just wondering if this could be an onset. It looks like he''s okay to suffer like that - he falls into the 85% category of men who don''t want to visit the GP - but I am genuinely concerned given the fact that it could be hereditory. He also constantly complains of his feet that pains rather badly and he unfortunately doesn''t lead a healthy lifestyle - my thing is like ''dude, get your act together ... the children still needs their dad'' or ''are your policies up to date''. Please can you like shed some light - oh yes, he''s 36 years young!

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

for his painful coccyx he will have to have X-rays of the area ( it is referred to as "coccydinia") and seen by a specialist. The treatment is to sit on a special cushion with a hole where the coccyx touches the chair to reduce the pressure. In some resistant cases they might even remove the coccyx it the pain is intolerable. There are many causes of painful feet and he should visit a podiatrist who could look for the cause of the pain and possibly prescribe good orthotics to place into his shoes.