Question
Posted by: newMUM | 2012/06/26

cows milk allergy

i just found out that my 4 month old boy has a allergy for cows milk. he has started on solids. but now i need to put him on a milk free diet. what can and can''t he eat now? is there any substitute for the nutrients in cows milk that i can give him?

Dear New Mum
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I am sorry to hear that your son has developed cow's milk allergy. It is important to know if he is allergic to one of the proteins in cow's milk or if he is reacting to lactose (so-called milk sugar) in milk. If he is allergic to the protein in cow's milk he needs to avoid all cow's, goat's milk, all yoghurt and all types of cheeses and all foods that contain milk proteins. If he is allergic to lactose then he only needs to avoid cow's oe goat's milk and foods that contain these milks or products derived from them. He would still be able to eat yoghurt and cheeses made from cow's or goat's milk because the fermentation process removes most of the milk sugar from the products. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you through this initial period when you need help to identify which foods are forbidden, but your son still needs a well balanced diet to ensure that he continues to grow and thrive. Contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. The Allergy Association Website lists the foods that you need to avoid if you have a specific allergy. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet and Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'.

1

Dear New Mum