Posted by: Blossom | 2009-06-24

Cousin threatens suicide

My cousin who is married, has 2 young boys has been threatening suicide when he has a figth with his wife. He has been irresponsible taking his oldest child in the car with him when he is drunk. Is extremely lazy and doesnt want to work, would rather stay at home &  look after his boys &  have is wife support them. Unfortunately she isnt able to do that. His parents are overseas in the USA and he expects everyone to look after him financially. He moves from one job to the next. My cousin' s wife has been considering leaving him. As she has no respect nor love really for him anymore. Her feelings are turning to resentment and hatred. He' s said he wants to kill himself in front of his 4yr old son! what do we do??

Taking a child in the car when drunk driving is abusive and dangerous for both of them and for other people. He sounds troubled as well as troubling. Are his parents aware of how he is behaving ? Shouldn't they be informed ?
Threats of suicide need to be taken seriously, but on the other hand someone shouldn't be encouraged to use such threats as a method of blackmail so as to control others. He can be encouraged to see a shrink for assessment and advice, and told that people will not be manipulated by his threats, but that you are concrned that he seems to need help and to be unhappy, and want him to receive appropiate help. Is there anyone in the family to whom he will listen seriosuly, who could talk with him productively ?

Posted by: Blossom | 2009-06-24

my cousin' s wife has emailed her mother in-law to tell them what is happening. I think only his mother might be able to speak some sense into him, its difficult for her being so far away.
if his mother doesnt work, i will ask our uncle to speak to him. someone my cousin respects.
Thank you for your response

Reply to Blossom