Posted by: MrG | 2011-05-29

Counts, numbers and trying

Hi all,

We''ve been off the pill for 2years now and no BFP (NO IDEA what that stands for other than no ot preggy yet!)

I''ve been diagnosed with a low sperm count and have been put on a course of 8 Menopur injections over 4 weeks to boost my count. Urologist says that the count is so low that it''s unlikely we''ll ever fall pregnant naturally and that we need a little help (IVF).

I didn''t see too much numbers, but saw sperm count as 0,3M/ml - does this mean my count is 300 000? I know 20million is the normal benchmark... and if this is the count, is there any hope?

Doc is fairly limited in his approach and we''re now figuring things out ourselves. Although he did put me on the Menopur and Staminogro tablets.

We''re also waiting for results of chromosome blood tests for me - (DH) - what would that be?

Dear MrG

The sperm count of 0.3 M/ml (300 000) is indeed extremely low and is a definite indication for assisted reproductive techniques (ART) i.e. IVF/ICSI. Although the course of injections prescribed might stimulate more sperm production it is highly unlikely that this will result in a significant enough count for natural conception. I would therefore strongly recommend that IVF/ICSI be considered.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim