Posted by: SharonH | 2010-09-30

Counting Calories

Hi DietDoc. Please would you help me. I weigh 108kg and want to lose about 30kg. I''m adopting the low fat high fibre approach and am trying to stick to 1500 cal p/d. I exercise 5 days a week for betweej 45 min - 1 hr and still am not losing a single pound. I''m worried that I''m counting my calories incorrectly. Please could you work out the calories in the following:

50g Swiss Muesli - low GI
200ml Milk (full cream)
3 slices Pineapple
1 Apple
200ml Low Fat Yoghurt
2 teaspoons peanut butter
Portion cottage Pie
Salad and veg (brocolli etc)

I think I am underestimating what I''m eating and that could be why I''m not losing weight.

Dear Sharon
As mentioned previously, I really cannot work out the energy content of every Reader's food intake because this would mean that I don't get time to answer all the questions the Readers pose. If you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Tools' you can access the Calorie Counter and calculate how much energy you ingest. You will have to weigh the individual foods like the fruit and the cottage pie, etc to get accurate figures. If I look at your diet then it seems perfectly reasonable reasonable for weightloss, except for using full cream milk (rather use low-fat or fat-free milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese - then you obtain all the calcium and protein you require, with practically no fat and a lower energy content). For an example of a low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet that you can use as an example, lick on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet'. You don't mention how long you have been using your diet and exercise? You may find that as you persevere that you do start losing weight. Initially when you start doing exercise, you tend to build muscle tissue and muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue so you may not lose kg, but you could be losing fat. Keep a record of your measurements to check if you are losing cm.
Keep up the good work and keep in mind that it takes time for the body to adjust to this new regimen.