Question
Posted by: Just me | 2012-08-26

Counselling versus clinical

Hi CS

I was just wondering about your views on the classification of Counselling versus Clinical psychologist. (I am looking at different psychologists &  would just like to do some research before deciding who I should see).

Is there actually a difference, and if so, what are the differences?

Thank you!

Maybe it depends on the complexity of the issues needing to be dealt with.
But so long as the person is a fully qualified Psychologist, they should have had a thorough thepretical and practical training, and if we're talking of a "Clinical Psychologist" versus a "Counselling Psychologist" well, frankly, I've always thought the distinction irrelevant and unhelpful, and the persisting existence of these two varieties of the species, entirely unnecessary and unhelpful. More relevant may be whether you feel a personal sense of connection of "I can work with this person ", and whether either of them have a special interest in or experience of, the precise type of problem you are seeing help for.
There are trained Counsellors with a good bit of psychological training to back them, who don't handle complex or risky matters, but can be very helpful indeed and usually more economical.

1