Posted by: Dee | 2009-07-13

Councelor or Divorce

We' ve been married for 5 years but now I want a divorce but my husband wants us to see marriage councelor. I am sure of what I want and there is no way I want to stay married. What do you recommend I do? Should I make an appointment with a councellor or should I just go straight to a divorce laywer?

Why not see a marriage counsellor together ? They should not be aiming to glue the marriage together come what may, but to help you explore together what has gone wrong, whether anything can be fixed, and, if you still decide that you want a divorce, at least you're in a better position to do so without carrying excessive bitterness with you, and better able to prevent anything like this from happening in any future relationships. I don't see what you would lose by taking that route

Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2009-07-14

My ex and I went to therapy together (FAMSA is a good place and was free), By then I was clear that I wanted a divorce. We had some Divorce Counselling where we both got a chance to air how we felt, and I then went ahead with a divorce. I thought it was a useful exercise, especially since we have 2 children and will always still have to deal with each other.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: Gail | 2009-07-14

I agree with CS. You have nothing to loose. I have no idea what he done but it must have caused alot of pain if you just want to divorce but as CS says you should consider councelling. Good luck!

Reply to Gail