Question
Posted by: Jayne | 2012-02-17

Could ovarian cysts cause missed period

I am 44 years old and have two children. The youngest is three and since her birth I have been using barrier contraception (very carefully). Three weeks ago I went for a gynaecological checkup because of a little bleeding between periods. I had a scan and the dr detected ovarian cysts. He suggested that I start the contraceptive pill (Melodene) and return after two packs for a followup scan. I bought the first pack of pills, but now my period is ten days late so I have not been able to start on the first day of my cycle as recommended. My breasts are tender, I feel slightly nauseous and have intermittent mild pelvic pain. I did a pregnancy test two days ago and the result was negative. Please tell me: (1) Could all these symptoms be caused by the ovarian cyst or should I be repeating the pregnancy test? (2) When do I start the contraceptive pill if I have not had a period? Thank you very much.

Cysts can cause upsets in the cycle.
If the pregnancy test is negative, you can start the Pill at any time.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-02-20

Cysts can cause upsets in the cycle.