Question
Posted by: Tsheps | 2009-01-21

Could my great dane be blind?

Hi there cybervet

I ' ve got a 6 week old harlequin great dane,with lovely looking blue eyes.A collegue of mine says it could be an indication of blindness,but he seems fine to me,responds well to us and his sight also seems fine,but how do I know for sure if there isn' t anything wrong with him?.What other defects are common in this breed?

thanx

Dear Tsheps

Your puppy would walk into things if blind. Ask your vet to have a look at his next vacination. For the next question- buy a book!

3
Posted by: Tsheps | 2009-01-26

thanks all...

Reply to Tsheps
Posted by: Great Dane Mom | 2009-01-22

I also have a harlequin great dane with blue eyes - she is 10 months old and sees perfectly. The only concern I have is that she has " deaf"  spells - sometimes ignores me completely when I call her :) Do yourself and your puppy a favour and get a book or two on great danes.

Reply to Great Dane Mom
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-21

Getting a book isn' t a bad idea - large breed dogs need special care in raising them, and it would be good to know what to do and not to do. You need, for starters, to make sure he' s on a large breed puppy food, right until he' s 18 months old.

There are a few other things you could look up - stomach torsion being one.

Tell your colleague from me he/she hasn' t a clue, by the way!

Reply to Chill