Posted by: A | 2011-02-27

could my dad be having strokes?

my dad is retired and drinks excessively (he is drunk every day as he starts drinking at 10am or thereabouts). He blacked out while driving the other day and crashed the car into a pole (not seriously). we put it down to possibly him having had a drink (although it was early so i don''t think he was over the limit then). My mom took him to a GP who checked him out but wouldn''t admit him to a clinic and did some general tests (including a liver function blood test) and said he was ok. However, he blacked out again yesterday while walking to the gate. he wasn''t drunk, although he had been drinking (probably 2 drinks). I can''t believe that the black outs are alcohol related as he was very weak after the blackout / collapse yesterday (couldn''t stand up, my mom had to call my brother-in-law to carry him into the house) but an hour later was fine again (acting sober).

my mom is convinced its the alcohol. I think there is something else going on here, could these be strokes or something?

It is very important to examine other possible causes for your father's symptoms. I therefore, suggest that he consults a neurologist for a full examination and a CT of his head, as well as an ultrasound of the arteries in the neck.

It is very possible that your father is experiencing small strokes that we call TIA's. We should not put off his symptoms due to alcohol abuse but rather make sure that there is no underlying pathology that can be treated.