Question
Posted by: Silly | 2010/08/16

Could it br cracked or broken?

Good Day Doctor,

How would one know if they have broken or cracked a rib in comparison to the area just being bruised- there is no visible bruising though, as there is a niggling pain on the one side of my chest but if I take a deep breath then it hurts. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Hallo Silly
A broken rib would often cause a sensation of 2 coarse ends rubbing against each other when you breathe in or press on the area. A cracked rib would maybe visible on an x/ray but there are no other symptoms except pain. As you won't put your ribs in plaster of paris, treatment will usually be anti-inflammatory medication and avoidance of strenuous exercises. Please do not bind or tape your chest - it prevents proper breathing and can lead to lung infections.

3
Posted by: Silly | 2010/08/17

Thank you very much!
My mind has been settled &  it seems as though it could be cracked.

Reply to Silly
Posted by: Mia | 2010/08/16

I guess an x-ray is the only way. Either way it has to heal on it''s own. Not much you can do about it. Good Luck.

Reply to Mia
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/16

Hallo Silly