Question
Posted by: Loreal | 2010-05-09

Could it be sexual aversion disorder that I am experiencing?

Hello Doctor,
I am 26, DH is 32 and we''re in our 6th year of marriage. We have a 4-yr old son together.
After my son''s birth I had the Mirena IUD put in. I still do not regret my decision. For the past 2-yrs my body seems to be functioning inconsistently when my husband initiates sex (last 3 months it''s happened more frequently). We''ve never had intimacy or sexual problems prior to this.
As soon as he starts touching and kissing me, my body clenches as if trying to avoid the touch/feeling, my muscles tense up and I get anxious. I think to myself, " I wish this could just be over, can he hurry up and get this over with."  I would never with hold sex from him but I get distressed/agitated/irritated and almost angry if he takes his time or wants to pleasure me opposed to his own pleasure..
I never behaved this way before and I only recently told him how I felt. I think because I only then ''realised'' what I was doing/thinking and feeling. I do feel guilty!
DH swears it''s the Mirena that''s causing a hormonal imbalance. Would removing it solve my problem? If it''s not the cause, then what is? I''ve done some research and the closes I''ve come to " naming"  or understanding this is: Sexual Aversion Disorder...?

It should not be the Mirena causing the problem. Post to the sexologist for further help.

2

I also have mirena and have a similar experience. I am repulsed with sex. My aversion is ridiculous. Even when it's time to get ready for bed, IL hide in the bathroom thinking "oh my God, he's going to want to have sex. How can I get out of this?" I'd rather lock the door and sleep in the bathroom. When husband tried to initiate sex, I don't want to. At all. Ever. I tense up, it does not feel pleasurable (it doesn't hurt either), and I have thoughts that I hope he hurries up, I hope it's over with quickly, and I will think about ANYTHING, other than what we're doing. I feel like I could go for the rest of my life and never have sex again and I'd be perfectly ok with that. Even just TALKING about sex arouses extreme irritability with me. This mirena is coming out and I can only hope and pray that my body returns to normal afterward. I was never this way before. It's putting extreme stress on my marriage.

Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-05-10