Question
Posted by: Lola | 2009-06-30

Could it be malaria?

I travelled to a malaria area last week. I have been taking Malanil. I returned on Saturday, after a week. I started feeling ill today. I have had a headache the whole day, my neck feels stiff &  sore &  I feel as if I am going to get a cold - sniffles. A coleague told me that my forehead felt very warm.

What are the symptoms of malaria &  how soon would one get them. Is it still possible to get malaria even if one is on Malanil?

Dear Lola
Yes although Malanil will protect you the protection is not 100% - rather go for a malaria blood test. Malaria symptoms can be vague - headache, fever, flu symptoms, even diarrhoea and vomiting.