Question
Posted by: Just being a mom | 2010/09/14

Could it be depression?

My 20 year old daughter has been down for the last few months and it concerns me. We have a great relationship but I feel that she''''s just too emotional. We had a chat the other day and she''''s open to me about how she feels so I suggested that she keeps a mood diary/journal just so that we can ''''pin-point'''' if there''''s a real need for consulting a therapist (which I in fact would encourage). She admitted to me that at times she''''d look in the mirror and not recognise who she sees ... I am aware of probably 90% of her issues and do understand where she''''s coming from but she just cries too easily.

Last night again I saw that she was a bit ''''mif'''' and when I asked her how she was doing the tears appeared. I keep encouraging her to talk - if not to me, then to someone she can trust and even if she has an issue with me, she must tell me. I can come across as intimitating to the ''''timid'''' person because I''''ll say things like "  I understand your situation, you need to acknowledge it, work through it but only you can decide how long you''''re going to allow it to hold you down"  . I do explain to her that that doesn''''t mean I don''''t have issues that I deal with, I do ... I''''m not in my ''''happy space'''' 27/4 but it''''s the strife to be there that counts.

I need advice as to whether act now or continue to encourage her to keep her diary/journal in order to ''''eleviate'''' issues and just get therapy for the ones she''''s not able to eleviate on her own.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I think you've posted here before, a rather similar message ? You're right that nobody feels marvellous all day, every day ( unless there's something wrong with them like Hypomania ) - its unrealistic to seek a life of constant bliss. It's better not to catastrophize when there's a blue day, but rather to learn how to cope with down times as well as up times, and to learn from the problems one encounters which can be avoided and which can he coped with

2
Posted by: Just being a mum | 2010/09/14

yes, my apologies CS, you are right. I initially posted my article under the " Depression and Bipolar"  forum on this website and only realised afterwards that I should have posted it directly on your forum - I can only assume that my post was diverted by the ''Depression and Bipolar'' monitors.

Reply to Just being a mum