Question
Posted by: Just being a mum ... | 2010/09/10

Could it be depression?

My 20 year old daughter has been down for the last few months and it concerns me. We have a great relationship but I feel that she''''s just too emotional. We had a chat the other day and she''''s open to me about how she feels so I suggested that she keeps a mood diary/journal just so that we can ''''pin-point'''' if there''''s a real need for consulting a therapist (which I in fact would encourage). She admitted to me that at times she''''d look in the mirror and not recognise who she sees ... I am aware of probably 90% of her issues and do understand where she''''s coming from but she just cries too easily.

Last night again I saw that she was a bit ''''mif'''' and when I asked her how she was doing the tears appeared. I keep encouraging her to talk - if not to me, then to someone she can trust and even if she has an issue with me, she must tell me. I can come across as intimitating to the ''''timid'''' person because I''''ll say things like "  I understand your situation, you need to acknowledge it, work through it but only you can decide how long you''''re going to allow it to hold you down"  . I do explain to her that that doesn''''t mean I don''''t have issues that I deal with, I do ... I''''m not in my ''''happy space'''' 27/4 but it''''s the strife to be there that counts.

I need advice as to whether act now or continue to encourage her to keep her diary/journal in order to ''''eleviate'''' issues and just get therapy for the ones she''''s not able to eleviate on her own.

I look forward to hearing from you.

This could very well be Depression, and would respond well to proper treatment - encourage her to see someone for a proper assessment and a discussion of treatment options. There's no point in continuing to feel miserable when it may be very much soluble.
The value in proper, CBT-style therapy is not only that it will help relieve her depression now, but it will help her to learn problem-solving and other techniques which can thereafter apply herself, when different problems arise.
And maybe you need to recognize the significant difference between feeling "blue" ( when your approach might be helpful ) and when it goes beyond that point, to become a chemical depression where the person needs chemical assistance to correct the chemical imbalances, so that they can regain their own capability to deal with speific problems

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/09/11

Thank you for wanting to help your daughter through this. I was 30 before I went in search for help regarding my depression, throughout my teens and twenties nobody encouraged me to do so.

Reply to Maria