Question
Posted by: Hot Flash | 2012-07-11

Could it be?

Hi CS

I''ve been diagnosed with major depressin, and have been put on the following:

Lexamil 10mg at night
Urbanol 10mg morning and night

Would either of these induce hot flashes/ I am in my 50''s and menopausal, however I''ve never experience hot flashes until I started taking this medication?

Tthanks fortaking the time to reply

Sounds like this is the advice of a GP, and it puzzles me ( this is why it is often best to see a consultant psychiatrist for an initial assessment and treatment advice. 10 mg of Lexamil is a really small dose, and I'd not expect it to be effective as an antidepressant ; though sometimes if a doc expects you will be especially sensitive to or upset by side-effects, he may plan to start that low and gradually increase the dose to effective levels ( but then I'd expect him to explain this to you in detail ).
Urbanol is not an antidepressant at all, and a potentially habit-forming benzodiazepine sedative tranquillizer, which may help ( so long as it isn't prescribed for more than a couple of months at a stretch )with ANXIETY symptoms.
I wouldn't exp[ect either of these to cause hot flushes or to affect your hormones to the degree of precipitating hot flushes - maybe its just a coincidence ?

1