Posted by: Emily | 2009-08-24

Could I be pregnant? HELP!

I have been taking Marvelon for several years and am very good at taking it each morning at the same time.

My cycle is like clockwork, 28 days to the minute.

Unfortunately I forgot to take it on Friday (21st day after first day of last period) as well as on Saturday (22nd day after first day of last period). As soon as I realised on Sunday morning, I took both pills as well as my Sunday pill (which I later found out was unwise and I should' ve taken my Sunday and Monday pills today). Today I took two pills.

I had unprotected sex with my partner on Saturday evening (22nd day of cycle).

In the morning, I immediately went to the pharmacy and consulted with the pharmacist. She said that I should be fine, due to where I am in my cycle (apparently ovulation is on the 14th day after first day of previous period) as well as how long I have been on my pill. I did however buy the morning after pill in case, but once I got home and thought it through, I decided against taking it. She said the side effects would be very unpleasant and I am not at a very high risk of pregnancy, so it would just be a peace of mind measure more than anything.

I am also very careful with what I do to my body and would hate to harm myself in any way by taking such extreme measures.

Due to missing my pill, I started menstruating on Sunday morning (yesterday) and am only five to six days away from the beginning of my next period, so the blood flow is quite heavy/normal for first few days of menstruation.

I believe I have 78 hours to decide if I want to take the morning after pill. Although I am not keen on this idea at all.

Should I be worried about being pregnant?

Please help!

Thank you.

Hi Emily
What contraceptive are you using and what colour pill did you miss?
Kind regards

Posted by: CD again | 2009-08-25

Hallo Emily
Your risk to fall pregnant is low, especially as you took your missed pills and already started menstruating. You probably need not worry. With Marvelon, usually if you have missed ONE or TWO pills, you will still be protected against pregnancy and you don' t need to use extra contraception. See management of missed tablets at home dot intekom dot com fslash pharm fslash donmed fslash marvelon

Reply to CD again
Posted by: Emily | 2009-08-25

Hi there,

It isn' t a particular colour. My pill is called Marvelon - 21 active pills and 7 placebos for the ' break week' .

I missed 2 active pills (day 21 and day 22 since first day of my last period, which was on the 1st of August).

Thank you so much! Look forward to your thoughts.

Reply to Emily
Posted by: Emily | 2009-08-25

PS. Since posting my question, I have been experiencing very strange and constant stomach rumbling in my lower abdomen. I have heard that this is an early symptom of pregnancy, but don' t want to panic unnecessarily.

Also, my breasts are slowly becoming a bit tender, but could thi be due to my ' actual'  period date coming up on Saturday as well as the fact that the hormone balance is a little off (taking double dose of pills to compensate for the missed ones)?

Reply to Emily
Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-24

You are not pregnant, your period is just earlier due to forgetting to take your pill and it is a ' normal'  period. You bleed much less on the pill than off it. Rather take extra percautions for the next 2 weeks as you are more at risk of falling pregnant then,