Question
Posted by: Megan | 2010/08/26

coughing/choking only when eating

Hi my dog Dan (male golden labrador) has started coughing / choking only when he eats his dinner. He eats Eukanuba joint mobility. He doesn''t choke / cough at any other time and seems perfectly heatlhy and full of energy. I''ve also given him a piece of bread / handful of pellets between meals and he eats them with no problems, but when it comes to eating his dinner / breakfast, he chokes/coughs. What do you think it could be ? I''m going to take him to the vet tomorrow to have him checked out but would like your opinion in the meanwhile if possible.

Hi Megan

I suspect that Dan is probably eating his food too quickly and as a result he is probably choking. You may have to give him a food that he will masticate rather than swollow whole.

Other causes may include laryngitis/tonsilitis but these conditions have a more persistant cough.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/26

Hi Megan

Reply to CyberVet