Posted by: nay | 2009-05-04

coughing in my sleep

I have recently started coughing so badly in my sleep that I wake up.It feels like a scratch or like something is crawling around in my throat &  I start to cough uncontrolably.Sometimes I even want to vomit.I have to gasp for air during the coughing fit.Afterwards my chest feels tight and phlegmmy.What can this be. I do not have astma.I do not smoke or drink.

Dear Nay
You may have either a post nasal drip that irritates your trachea or acid reflux when you lie down. Let your doctor have a look to see if he can find the cause.

Hi Anonymous,
I have exactly the same problem. It is scary and not NICE at all. Your eyes water and you couch and you choke a few times at night and it only happens when you sleep? What I try is using a humidifier when I sleep at night and there is a thing.. It looks like one of those misquito killer electrical stuff :) - that is the only way i can describe it. It is called Sinutab Comfort care. You plug it in at night and put the sinutab tablet in it.
I am sick of asking doctors for tablets and stuff. There is only one tablet that works though.. But it has cortisone in it :( It' s called Celestamine but it is not very good for you.
I really hope you are reading this.
It' s better than nothing..