Question
Posted by: clint | 2010/02/16

Coughing fits

The day I quite smoking is the day I started to exersize and as expected after a bout of exersize I would start coughing and bring up some phlem which I assumed was my body or rather my lungs recovering from the damage that has been done by smoking. My problem is that this coughing after 3 years have not been going away and I have experienced I particular heavy coughing fit this morning after I completed and easy 10 km. I am concerned because ever so often especially after a heavy training session I would start of with a light cough and then end up in a uncontrolled coughing fit infront of my gate. I still cough up phlem when I do. These fits usually lasts less than a minute and after swallowing some water and calm breathing it usually goes away not bothering me for the rest of the day. Is this something that I need to be concered about or is this still my body trying to rid itself of the unwanted smoking stigmata that probly still effects my lungs today. I am very fit and cover a minimum of 50 - 60 km a week at the moment. I recently had a lung infection in my left lung that has cleared up 4 weeks ago but these fits had been going on before this. My lungs was x rayd and there was no signs of fluid in them. I do have a history of asma but outgrew this when I was 12 years old and never experienced any asma attacks since then. Im not allergic to anything I know of.

Hallo Clint
You may have exercise induced asthma, triggered by the running. Try using a Ventolin asthma pump 2 puffs just before you run. I don't think it is after effects of smoking.
See http://www.emedicinehealth.com/exercise-induced_asthma/article_em.htm

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/16

Hallo Clint

Reply to cyberdoc