Posted by: JAMES KIAS | 2008-10-30

coughing during day. pains

The problem started in June 2006 when i started working in a carpetted office . I COUGH too much during the day. this is a dry cough ie unproductive cough. I visted the doctor and was told its an allegy, I even went for HIV TEST and was found to be nagative. Now when i cough, i start feeling the chest pains especially the right side. What do you think coukld be the prolem and how do i overcome this. help please.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

The only clue is the carpet - new,old?

Carpets harbour dust mites and if not cleaned regularly this may,in a susceptible person cause an allergy which can cause a cough.

New carpets may contain chemicals.e.g. formaldehyde which can cause an irritation and a cough.