Question
Posted by: Richard | 2010/06/02

Coughing dog

My Pekinese has a dry cough during the night and sometimes after he had been barking. He does not have a fever and does not appear to be ill as he eats well and is quite perky when given attention. He has energy. Can a cough suppressor medication assist in this situation?

Thanx in advance

Hi Richard

I would not advise that you use cough suppressants without veterinary advise as indiscriminate use may obscure the warning sign's of serous cardiac and pulmonary disorders and predispose the patient to serious complications.

The coughing maybe Upper or Lower Respiratory. There are a number of anatomical/cardiac/inflammatory/infectious causes and I would advise that you take your Pekinese to the vet for a clinical examination.

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/06/03

Hi Richard

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/06/02

Yes it can - you can get some Benylin with Codeine from the chemist, and give the dog a couple of ml when necessary. However: there are various aspects which require attention. First, the meds will almost certainly result in drowsiness. Second, don''t give too often or too much. Third, consider that you''d be wise to get the cough checked out by a vet - a cough may well be innocuous - but it can also be a symptom of cardiac disease, or of a growth or tumour, or of a chronic infection, to name a few. Pekes in particular have a fairly narrow trachea, so any obstruction could cause a problem - even something called a collapsing trachea, which is not unknown in the breed. It''s always best to try to get a diagnosis before deciding whether and how to treat a problem like this.

Reply to Chill