Posted by: Tiekie | 2009-07-17

Coughing Brown Phlegm

My 1 year old was first diagnosed with middle ear infection and after 2 courses of antibiotics the pediatrician tested and found out that she had an RS virus. 3 Days after she was diagnosed the first time, I became sick also with middle ear and as with her, the medicine did not help. I am assuming that I also have the RS virus. We are riding out the worst of the symptoms (it' s been almost 3 weeks), but yesterday I started coughing up dark brown phlegm. The cough is not persistant or irritating but I was taken aback by the colour of the phlegm. Is this normal? I am scared that my little one will also start with this. What is causing this?

You most probably have a viral bronchitis. Monitor yourself and if it becomes troubling, consult doctor.