Question
Posted by: GT | 2011/04/26

Cough, itchy lungs, pain in chest

Hello,

First, I''d like to say this is nothing new in my life. I''m prone to persistent coughs. But right now I don''t have a health card, so I thought I''d ask for your opinion before I see a doctor or buy medicine.

I''ve had this cough for 2 or 3 months. It''s the same feeling as when a cloud of dust makes you cough, except that there isn''t any extra dust in the air. It can happen out of the blue and then I can''t stop coughing for a long time.

My lungs, neck (not throat) and chin are itchy, there''s occasional chest pain when I cough and a little whining and shortness of breath. There is a little bit of phlegm sometimes, but I think it''s still a dry cough.

I don''t remember if it started with a cold, so I can''t determine the cause. I tried drinking a lot of water, a cough suppressant and a puffer that I got the last time I had a bad cough. They all hep to a certain extent but the cough always comes back. I haven''t tried allergy medicine yet because I didn''t have any more pills and I was hoping not to use medicine ever again, but I think time alone won''t do it.

Do you suggest I try allergy medicine first or do I need to see a doctor?

I really wanted to avoid antibiotics because of the impact on the intestinal flora. But I don''t know.

Hallo GT,
It sounds as if your cough may be due to an allergic or asthmatic reaction rather than an infection. If the small airways of the lungs are in spasm due to irritants (could be anything like pollen, cold air, exercise, dust, cigarette smoke) it tends to cause a dry cough and some wheezing. Taking a cough syrup with a bronchodilator in it like Alcophyllex or Bisolvon linctus plus an anti-allergic tablet like Loratidine may help. Just follow instructions on the bottle as too much of the bronchodilator can cause palpitations and tremors. If you think this is the cause, it may be a good idea to get a lung function test while you have the symptoms to confirm asthma.

2
Posted by: B | 2011/04/26

You might have asthma.

Reply to B
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/26

Hallo GT,