Posted by: Patricia | 2011-11-02

Cough, itchy back and chest

Dear Doctor,

I''ve had a " cold"  for over 40 days with a cough that started about 36 days ago. I haven''t been to the doctor yet because she usually only looks at me and prescribes medication, which I''d prefer to avoid. I''d like to use home remedies for as long as possible.

At the moment, all I have is a cough and a very itchy back, chest and chin. Is this allergies maybe or just the common cold? My phlegm is clear, and there''s only a little bit of it every time I cough. I always have the feeling most of it stays inside, although it''s still not a lot and definitely not green.

What do you think I should do? I feel my cough has been exactly the same at least for 3 weeks, with no improvement at all. I''ve tried every possible home remedy already and drink more fluids than I ever have. I also tried exercising and sweating it out, which only helped reduce the cough for a few hours. I also tried a cough suppressive syrop, with no visible results. The itchiness is also very bad. It itches practically from my tail bone up to my chin, on the inside (no rash).

Please do give me some advice.

Thank you!

It is possible that you have an allergic reaction or seasonal hayfever. Sinusitis due to the hayfever can cause a post nasal discharge that irritates the back of your throat, resulting in an chronic cough. You can try a product like Zyrtec (non-sedating antihistamine), one tablet, once daily to alleviate your symptoms. If it does not improve your symptoms within the next three days, you have to consult your doctor.

Another possible cause for your symptoms, may be acid reflux. It will be wise to ask your doctor to consider this as a possibility and to refer you for a barium meal.