Posted by: Ravi | 2012-12-10

cough and breathing problem

My mom CT scan concludes the following :

Fibro nodular opacities are seen in the right parahilar region and left apex. Right hilium is prominent. Unfolding of aorta is seen. Both the pleural spacs are clear.

Could you please let me know what is it ?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Ravi,

Thanks for your query and apologies for the delay in replying. Fibro-nodular opacities in the right parahilar region and the left apex on your mother’s CT scan indicate abnormalities in the lung, There are many possible causes and I would suggest your mother sees a lung specialist.
“Unfolding of the aorta” is an extremely common finding in people as they get older and is usually of no importance. It is likely to be seen most often in people who have high blood pressure, so your mother should have her blood pressure checked. Prominence of the right hilum is a non specific X-ray pattern which is probably of no importance.

Your mother should discuss these results with whoever requested the CT scan.

With kind regards