Posted by: Leigh | 2009-10-12

I have had a cough for nearly 4 months. In the beginning I took over the counter cough mixtures. Eventually I went to the doctor at the end of Sept. and he prescribed Augmentum SR, Celestimine and ACC. I went back again last week and was given Avelon and a cough suppressant. I finished the avelon on Saturday but the cough is still the same. I have sinus with a bad post nasal drip and the last diagnosis was bronchitis. The cough is very loose with lots of phlem. I am now taking Viral C and Septoguard and use a saline nose spray. I am desperate and so tired of coughing. I don' t know whether to wait another few days to see if things improve or go back to the doc immediately. I am not a smoker. Thanks for your help.

Hallo Leigh
It may help to see a physiotherapist to help get rid of the phlegm in the chest, which may be re-infecting the chest all the time. The post nasal drip may also be a culprit, re-infecting your chest so this needs to be treated with a 10 day course of Flagyl and broadspectrum antibiotic if it does not clear up. The physio can also treat the sinusitis with inhalations and laser/ultrasound massage.