Posted by: Maddie | 2009-07-16

I have a 11 year old miniture poodle. She had sugery about 5 years ago where they had to remove her eye. I had to take her back the next day because the wound started bledeing and they had to sedate her again. Since then she has been coughing on an off but more off than on. These past few weeks she has been coughing uncontrolably. During the night and day. They said then that they had probably irritated her throuat with the tube they had to put down her throat twice during the operation. She is really sounding horrible and you can see she is hurting because her whole body is contracting whens he coughs. It looks like it\' s also making her nauseous when she coughs. She is old and fragile.

Dear Maddie

I dont think the tube is to blame 5 years after surgery.

Posted by: carrie | 2009-07-20

if your 11 year old dog is coughing i' d take her to the vet it may be Congestive heart failure. try taking her to another vet...

Reply to carrie
Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-16

You need to take her back to the vet for an examination - they may even do a scope, to check what' s going on.

There are various conditions which could cause this - don' t put it down to something that happened 5 years ago.

There are varioius medications which would open up the airways, but before you start looking at those, you need to make sure there isn' t an infection or obstruction anywhere.

If it' s an infection, then the longer you leave it the more serious it might become - specially in view of the fact that she' s not a young dog.

Reply to Chill