Question
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/08/26

cottage cheese / yogurt

Hi doc Ingrid

I am not really a cottage cheese lover, but i tried the low fat mustard and green onion flavour and it is so DEVINE . I notice on the label that the fat persentage, sodium and everything is exactly the same as the plain low fat cottage cheese. How fattening is low fat flavoured cottage cheese or is it better to eat fat free cottage cheese. Take note that i also do not spread it very thick over my rye crackers.

And also does it make a huge difference if you it flavoured sweetend yogurt with fruit peaces instead of plain low fat yogurt.
Thanking you in advance.

Dear Annemarie
Good to hear from you again. How is the weightloss progressing? I am glad you discovered the low-fat mustard and green onion flavour cottage cheese, because as you mention, it has the same composition, but can add much needed variety to a low-fat diet. Perhaps you can also try some of the other flavours that are available, to make your diet more interesting. According to the SA Food Tables, low-fat cottage cheese contains 433 kJ and 4.5 g of fat per 100g, whereas fat-free cottage cheese contains 303 kJ and 1 g of fat per 100g (these are average values and the products you are using may differ slightly). Based on these values, using the fat-free cottage cheese which is lower in fat and contains fewer kJ will benefit kJ-reduction more than eating the low-fat cottage cheese. Fat-free cottage cheese also comes in different flavours and you can always use the plain variety and just add some flavour (e.g. black pepper, chopped onion or spring onions, curry power or mustard, chopped lean biltong, drained canned tuna fish, or even pureed fruit for a sweeter version). However, if you are in any case eating only small quantities of the low-fat cottage cheese on your rye crackers, then this should really not be a problem. Regarding yoghurt, the SA Food Tables list the average values as follows: Plain low-fat yoghurt provides 233 kJ and 0.2 g of fat per 100g, while low-fat, flavoured yoghurt with fruit pieces, contains 426 kJ and 1.1 g of fat. In this case, it would be more advantageous to use the plain low-fat yoghurt. Check at supermarkets like Woolies, because they also sell low-fat, flavoured yoghurt with fruit that is designed for slimming purposes.

1

Dear Annemarie