Question
Posted by: Sharlene | 2009-08-19

Costocondritis/Tietze syndrome

My 16 year old daughter has been diagnosed with this condition after numerous scans and x-rays and ecg' s. She has been given very strong painkillers and celebron, but does not want to take any more medication. She keeps complaining of pain. Is there anything I can do that will ease the pain? My medical funds are depleted as a result of all of these tests. She is in enough pain at the moment to want to see a doctor again. I really need help.

Thank you.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sharlene
This condition can take about 3 months to subside and can also become chronic- Anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers are prescribed and sometimes even cortisone injections. Stress also exacerbates this. Try using some hot and cold packs on the areas of pain, but the anti-inflammatory drugs are usually best. Try and get her to take this. (celebron). If nothing helps, contact the doctor who made the diagnosis and discuss alternative drugs/therapy with him.